31 Mar 2020
COVID-19: Fish Health Unit - Service Update
Please be aware of the following with regard to Fish Health-related services provided by the Marine Institute during the COVID-19 Pandemic:
- Routine health surveillance inspections conducted by the Marine Institute have been suspended until further notice. Update: As of June 2020, the health surveillance inspection programme has resumed. All inspections will be carried out in compliance with HSE requirements on social distancing and general best COVID-19 hygienic practice.
- Where necessary, provision of export certification continues as normal, including pre-certification inspections.
- Mortality reports for both fish and shellfish should continue to be submitted to us as normal through the usual channels.
- The Fish Health Unit Laboratories remain open and continue to process samples. However, given the current situation, there may be reduced capacity at certain times. Therefore, it is critical that laboratories are consulted prior to submission of samples to ensure efficient laboratory operations.
- Applications for movements of fish and shellfish should continue to be submitted as normal by aquaculture producers using the online application system.
- It should be noted that working arrangements due to COVID-19 may occasionally result in delayed in response times. Therefore, applications for movements of aquatic animals should be made as early as possible in advance of the movement date.
- COVID-19 is an evolving situation and any changes to the FHU's operations and procedures will be updated on this page as they occur. Requests for further information should be directed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org